The workers in the tile factories and wood industries were first organized at Thalore - Ollur in Thrissur by Fr. Jenicius CMI in the year 1957 - 59. It was an alternative to the workers who were tempted to the political parties especially the communism and later since 1959 it was supported by the diocese of Trichur. This labour's organization was "Catholic Labour Association" (CLA). Later in December 1968 a seminar was conducted in St. Joseph Pontifical Seminary for the delegates from the Dioceses of Kerala. There were 300 persons from 16 dioceses. Later in January, 1974 the CLA convened a meeting at Madona Sehiyona in Thrissur,which is said to be the beginning of Kerala Labour Movement. This meeting asked the Church in Kerala to creatively active among the workers for their integral development and empowerment. Thus the KCBC constituted the commission for the labour being Archbishop Mar Joseph Pawvathil the Chairman, Bishop Mar Joseph Kundukulam and Dr. Bernard Perera the Members and Msgr Thomas Thalachira the secretary. The important years and events to be remembered are 1974, the Diocesan Chaplains met in Changanassery, the leaders' meetings at Thrikkakara in 1976 and at Pala in 1977. It was in the workers' camp at Manjummel where 65 labourers from 17 dioceses have attended on 23-29 of October 1977 a decision taken that the KLM should give attention to the fishermen and the agricultural workers and their issues regarding their dignity, security and empowerment. Later in 1978 a joint May Day message by the bishops was published and the rules and regulations of KLM were approved. But the KLM was in sleepy and in 2000 it was again activated by Bishop Joshwa Mar Ignatius the chairman and Fr. Jose Vattakkuzhi the secretary. Than the president of KLM was Mr. P.L. George from Thrissur, The General Secretary was Mr. Joseph Jude from Varapuzha and the treasure was Mr. Binni P. Joseph from Thiruvananthapuram.